Drugs and alcohol were thought to be a factor in twice as many house fires as smoking last year, figures show.
The Scottish Government and fire service chiefs have warned people not to cook while inebriated amid figures showing that alcohol and drugs were a factor in one in six house fires.
Smoking materials were a factor in around one in 12 house fires, according to figures released ahead of their joint festive fire prevention campaign.
Winter usually sees a rise in accidental house fires through appliances like heaters, tumble dryers and electric blankets, or log and coal burning fires.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service deputy chief officer Alex Clark said: "If you smoke or drink at home this raises your risk of a fire and we would remind you to be extra vigilant. If you've been drinking, avoid cooking.
"It's a common cause of accidental house fires and your ability to respond in an emergency will be impaired by alcohol. I would urge people to take the time to think about their fire safety in the home and take up the opportunity of a free home safety visit from the fire and rescue service. It could save your life one day."
The Government has also released a map revealing Scotland's "hottest postcodes", which shows that built-up areas like Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee were the hardest hit by fires last year.
Community safety and legal affairs minister Roseanna Cunningham said: "While the number of house fires in Scotland is at its lowest in a decade, this map shows no region of Scotland is untouched by the dangers of fire and underlines the importance of keeping your family safe from the risks."
She added: "Smoking materials and matches was the primary cause for more than one in 12 accidental house fires last year while we also know that alcohol and/or drugs was suspected to be a factor in at least one in six accidental house fires.
"Smoking, alcohol consumption, cooking accidents, misuse of electrical appliances or the overloading of electrical sockets are all potential risks."